Saturday, December 16, 2006

ER Office Christmas Party

It was a long week in the ER, at least for me. It's been a bit of an endurance trial some days. However, I am absolutely in love with the rotation so at least that works.

I did end up going to the first office party of my life with the ER staff. I forced myself into last year's formal dress (in which I can neither bend or breathe), let down my hair, and took someone else's fiancee to the event. In the past, I used to curl my hair and people wouldn't know who I was. In the ER, I put my hair down and no one knew who I was. The 4-5 inch heels I wore might also have made me a little more disorienting too, but there were lots of double taking from people on this rotation.

The evening was dedicated to looking at other people's clothing and schmoozing. (big points to man in red leather pants) It is what everyone does at an office party. I didn't become significantly intoxicated, which meant nothing embaressing was said, and I feel I circulated well. Some things were said to me that made me feel better about myself. For example, an intern told me I was a good student and asked where I was interviewing. She was pretty surprised to find out I was still a Med 3. One of my attendings introduced me to one of the unit clerks as a natural ER resident-to-be.

The party itself was a bit tame, but since we left at 10 that might have been the issue. I think it would have been out of control if it had been open bar instead of cash bar. A different attending I have to say was certainly the life of the party . . . It was interesting to see who brought whom to the party, pretty much a glimpse into the personal lives of people you see professionally. Which can be scary and brings up it's own set of unaskable and unanswerable questions.

But I guess that is the true purpose of the Office Christmas Party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home