Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I love to be busy and dumb

So I have less than two weeks left in medical school. I should be tying up loose ends and making sure I'm ready to graduate. Except that I'm not.

I just volunteered myself to go to the NICU for my last week of med school. I have a free month and the end of my (unnecessary) EM elective to complete. The elective is almost complete, but I've been procrastinating about certain things. When I didn't end up in EM, rather than publicly humiliate myself by presenting at EM grand rounds, I was switched to writing a paper, which actually is much more time consuming than a powerpoint. My EM shifts were moved to Children's hospital. And then I procrastinated about doing those things on account of getting married and going on a honeymoon. So its my own fault.

And yet I wanted to get some NICU experience. The truth is, my peds rotations are going to have lots of NICU and baby experience. The last time I touched a hospitalized baby was . . . last June. I did ICU and ED in adults this past year. I saw a few kids in the Sports Med clinic and the Child protective service rotation was more about socioeconomic issues than acute illness. In fact, I have spent all of 7 hours in the NICU total in my med school career and now I'm going to be a resident in it. I've decided now would be a good time to get some non graded non essential experience so I'm not absolutely clueless.

Maybe not a smart move since I'm trying to move out of my old house, move out of our condo, get promoted a belt level in judo, and finish up all the paperwork/requirements before I leave for residency.

Except I love being busy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home