Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I'm crazy, not stupid

One of the things that I had to get used to in psych was not carrying my stethoscope. I don't even bother to do a physical exam most days - actually one of my friends on psych consults told me they are told specifically not to touch the patient.

So not shockingly, when one of my schizophrenic patients was complaining of belly pain, I never did a physical exam. I asked all the proper questions but did not touch the patient. My resident ordered some tests, and not too shockingly, she may have had mild pancreatitis.

Which leads me to the point of my post. I got to go prepare her and talk to her about the Xrays and CT she was going to get which involved a trip to radiology. We discussed the machines and how she would have to hold still. Then I said it.

"Are the voices okay with you having these tests?"

She looked at me like I was crazy. And honestly, was I just appealing to auditory hallucinations that I know don't exist?

Worse, she laughed and patted me on the head, telling me that it would be fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------

In mostly unrelated news, I got the stuffing beat out of me in judo today, which proves I am both crazy and stupid.

1 Comments:

At 5:34 AM, Blogger ineffectivecoping said...

sorry to hear about getting the stuffing beat out of you - hopefully it got rid of some of that respiratory stuff you've been dealing with lately.
on an unrelated note, hanging with the kids isn't as bad as i thought it would be. just a bunch of busy work. *yawn*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home