Sunday, April 01, 2007

Surgery Week IV

The last week on that horrible rotation.

Sunday 0 hours first day off in 2 weeks
Monday 8am-7:30pm 11.5 hours
Tuesday 5:30am-6:30pm 13 hours
Wednesday 5:30am-5pm 11.5 hours
Thursday 6am-7pm 13 hours
Friday 6am-3pm 9 hours
Saturday - off

A mere 58 hours in five days and that included that I got off a few hours early on Friday for an organized medicine meeting. My a$$hole chief resident came back on Monday, but all the surgery residents had a conference on Tuesday so they weren't around. I was really happy on Wednesday when our pissed of intern sent us to a conference that didn't exist and the chief threw a total fit b/c he thought the med students were skipping out on work. He treated us like crap for 2 hours before finally asking and realizing we had been there since 5:30 and had covered 12 patients he hadn't even seen.

So lets look at the bill. In the eyes of the hospital, I was a staff member for 26 days and worked a total of 285.25 hours. That averaged out to about 11 hours a day. I had two days off the ENTIRE month. I know I got off pretty lightly with the meeting and the doctors appointment. The residents, I'd estimate, worked at least an hour more than me per day.

Thank goodness my next service is super laid back and lots of outpatient clinic - ortho surgery.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home