Saturday, March 17, 2007

Surgery Week II

I have now completed my second week of surgery. Let's check my hourly breakdown.

Sunday - 6am - 11am 5 hours
Monday- 8 am - 6:45 pm 10.75 hours
Tuesday - 6am - 8:45pm 14.75 hours
Wednesday 5:30am - 6:45 pm 13.25 hours
Thursday 6am - 6:30 pm 12.5 hours
Friday 5:30 am - 6 pm 12.5 hours
Saturday unable to remember - 29.5 hours

98.25 hours in 7 days. Don't tell me that Saturday can't be over 24 hours. It's called 'call,' and I was so out of it by the end that I had trouble finding my way around my own hospital. I went up the wrong flights of stairs a few times and got confused in the hallways. Incidentally, none of that would happen if I hadn't been so sleep deprived.

And now I am about to commit as 'so called' absolute medical no-no. I'm going to be back on call tomorrow. Yep, I'm on Q2. I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday morning, and since being ill is not encouraged I took call again rather than get punished in some way by my rotation or team. But since I'm not a real doctor yet, technically, the ACGME rules don't apply to me. Not that they are followed anyway since my residents last week stayed at least an hour past when I did every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home