Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Cheating at IM softball is possible

Yes, I know that Intramural softball is only a game, and I know that I really don't like to play softball. (Why don't I like to play softball? I was on the college softball team, and I just didn't enjoy softball enough to want to play it 2-5 hours a day October-June and train for it on the off months.)

IM is different though. It's slow pitch, and everything I was good at is illegal. For example, any form of base stealing and bunting is illegal. I was taught multiple forms of bunting because I was small, lefthanded, and quick. All of those things are off-limits during an IM game. So basically, you hit the very slow moving ball as far as you can. Except I was trained to not do that in college, which makes for difficult batting.

Because of my somewhat apathetic attitude, in a generally amusing fashion, some people think I don't understand softball. Since I've been playing since I was 6, that isn't the case. I happen to not care about whether I get a free IM Champions Tshirt. It's slow pitch IM softball, not the Rockford-Racine World Series game.

So it was the last inning or our playoff game, and I was up with one out. Someone tried to give me advice (again) 'Allie, all we want you to do is get on base.' That annoyed me. Since slap bunting and drag bunting were blatantly illegal; I dropped a swinging bunt on the third baseline. While not as obviously illegal, it was still illegal. However, I got on base, took second by correctly tagging up immediately when I saw the 2nd out hit on the air, and ended up scoring.

My team thought this was all great and they were impressed. It's not that impressive. It's what I was taught, and is technically - illegal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home