Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The key is not thinking

Things are better when you don't think about them. It's very tough to perform or assist in procedures if you actively think about the fact you are performing them on a live human being. I'll confess; I was a pretty grossed out when I helped put in a central line. Performing a bone marrow biopsy was pretty rough too.

But today, I did an ABG w/o flinching. I've attempted it during my first rotation w/o success, but my resident handed me the needle, told me to do it, and it just happened. I was too busy and too focused at that time to think about the times I hadn't done it well. The ABG needed to be done right then and that was the end of my mental discussion. I didn't have time to worry or be nervous.

So I guess the key is, grit your teeth, be confident, and go all NIKE (just do it).

-------------------------------------------------
For all the surgical junkies "It's like candy, but with blood, which is SO MUCH BETTER!" - Christina Yang on Grey's Anatomy

1 Comments:

At 4:04 AM, Blogger ineffectivecoping said...

even though i'm not in med school, but nursing school, the act-without-thinking-at-times concept applies to both places. if you dwell too long on certain tasks, the chance of screwing up increases the more time you spend in dwelling. "i'm here to get arterial blood" - get the blood, apply your pressure, and that's that :) don.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home