Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Robots and surgery

So on my first day of gyn-onc I was offered the chance to be bored or do surgery. I decided to go with surgery. I didn't get any random surgery; I got the robot surgery. While some people would find this an amazing opportunity; I wasn't sure how I felt.

But seriously, it wasn't that exciting, and they really didn't use robots. The 'robot' isn't so much a robot so much as an extension of the surgeon's hands to perform surgery. (I was hoping for something along the lines of Threepioor at least HAL)I spent the first two hours watching the monitors during a lymph node dissection. Maybe it was three hours, but either way, I think the anesthesia doctors had a good time watching me stretch and exercise in place.

I eventually was given stuff to do - I even got to put in and take out my first foley. Not in that order. I don't see doctors in any danger of getting replaced by robots. No chance.

In brief and unrelated news, my Diab group met for dinner. We are extremely nerdy and spent a great deal of our meal discussing Star Trek and the meaning of Science Fiction, especially Raj. It was hilarious. And very very very geeky. Yay for geek love.

The new season of Grey's Anatomy starts tomorrow. I wonder if those crazy kids will ever graduated past intern to first year resident?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home