Tuesday, June 06, 2006

He is everywhere

It has been two months since Brian Shaffer disappeared. Even though I am about to enter the unreal reality of Med 3, the sad reality of the truth cannot be escaped. Today they were teaching us how to use MedStar, and they had the websites on the massive overhead in Meiling. His missing persons poster with the reward was listed on the website - about 5 feet tall. Our class got really quiet then, so I hope they were all thinking about Brian, like I was.

It was apparent all of capstone. He was supposed to be in my capstone group, and a computer glitch forced us to 'evaluate' him in order to pass capstone. Even checking our grades, any med student can see the census go from 163 to 162 for the last test. His girlfriend updated her facebook today; he hasn't updated since March.

Two months. Has it just been two months? Sometimes it seems like an eternity. I know what I did the night he disappeared. I was on a date with a different Brian. We saw this huge chemical truck turned over on a 270 bridge. I remember thinking how neat it would be that the truck thing would be on the news. Then my friend Erin and I had some wine and fell asleep watching 'Charlie's Angel's:Full Throttle.' The next night I drove to the gallery hop and went to a birthday party at the nuthouse - or whatever it's current name is - all by myself, not having any idea what we were gong to learn about Brian.

I wasn't one of his super close friends, but I knew him. He and I had PCM together, and we had to do some herb/alt med presentation together in the beginning of the year because we had last names starting with the same letter. At the start of Med 2, I went dancing with him and his group and was all 'aww, look how sweet he and his girlfriend are together.' They seemed so happy and lucky.

I knew his mom had passed away, and I kept an eye on him from class. From far away, he seemed to be doing fine. I watched his girlfriend because sometimes the girl reflects the guy. She was doing fine. Everything was fine.

And then two months ago, it wasn't.

1 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Blogger Sanjida said...

Such a well written tribute. I didn't know him either, but your post reminds me that no one should forget.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home