Saturday, May 27, 2006

Chivalry isn't dead, but lots of the Xmen are

So the guy held doors for me, and opened my car door, and waited till I sat to sit down at dinner. Chivalry might not be dead after all.

The following is a review for X-men: The Last Stand.

This was one of those movies where it would make zero sense if you hadn't seen the first two. If you had, then things would make sense, and you wouldn't mind they don't explain who is who. I'll try to keep this snarky but semi-spoiler free.

The Random: Part of being a super villian/villianess would be the obligatory eVil outfit of red and black. When I head over to the dark side, I'll hire Jean Grey's stylist. Interesting that being dead and coming back to life turns your hair 4 shades more red and let's you kiss as many hot X-men as possible. And just because you have an Oscar and got a bigger part this year, Ms. Berry, you really need to get those highlights retouched.

The Good: Hugh Jackman, I would watch him read a phone book. I'm fine with watching him kill people, fight for the woman he loves, and periodically get his flesh peeled off. Oh, did I mention claws? I will forgive that you are actually over six-feet tall, though Wolverine is supposed to be very short. Also, the constant Captain Picard versus Gandalf dynamic gets better each time. Sure, they have the same arguement each time, but that is what seperates superheroes from supervillians - and the aforementioned eVil outfit.

Also important, McSteamy, aka Dr. Mark Sloan, from Grey's Anatomy made an appearance as Multiple Man. Let's just say there is more than enough to go around.

The Okay: There was a high body count, and I don't mean 'soldier #4,5, 24, and 34.' They kill people who actually have lines and are in the movie for more than one scene. This series isn't afraid to kill off people we care about (or did if we saw the previous movies). It's great, assuming your favorite character didn't die. And also, Angel/Warren Worthington III, it's cool you were in the movie and all, but when people have ice and reality destroying powers, your wings just seem boring.

The Bad: What is a 'level 5' mutant? I have no idea, and I speak geek. This is the best I could come up with. Anna Paquin, it's time to get a new agent or use your will like Halle Berry did to get more to do during the next movie. My favorite character, Rogue, did zilch during this movie. Apparently this is what happens when you are assigned to be a 'conflicted' character with no action-worthy superpower - see my Angel comment.

All in all, the movie was pretty good. I'm not sure how it ranks up against the other two. I think the original might be my favorite because it was more character focused. This one was so full of events, I never felt like we had time for real character developement, unless your name is Wolverine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home